- Europe, like you've never read before -
Friday, 15 May 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • it ITA
  • en ENG
Eunews
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • News
  • Defence
  • Health
  • Agrifood
  • Other sections
    • Culture
    • Diritti
    • Energy
    • Green Economy
    • Finance & Insurance
    • Industry & Markets
    • Media
    • Mobility & Logistics
    • Net & Tech
    • Sports
  • Newsletter
  • European 2024
    Eunews
    • Politics
    • World
    • Business
    • News
    • Defence
    • Health
    • Agrifood
    • Other sections
      • Culture
      • Diritti
      • Energy
      • Green Economy
      • Finance & Insurance
      • Industry & Markets
      • Media
      • Mobility & Logistics
      • Net & Tech
      • Sports
    No Result
    View All Result
    Eunews
    No Result
    View All Result

    Home » Defence & Security » Kubilius: ‘We have invested in defence opportunities, now we’ll need money’

    Kubilius: ‘We have invested in defence opportunities, now we’ll need money’

    Commissioner in Europarliament hearing: 'EDIP and SAFE important steps forward; the problem of resources in 2026 and 2027'

    Emanuele Bonini</a> <a class="social twitter" href="https://twitter.com/emanuelebonini" target="_blank">emanuelebonini</a> by Emanuele Bonini emanuelebonini
    6 November 2025
    in Defence & Security
    Il commissario per la Difesa, Andrius Kubilius, in audizione commissione Sicurezza e Difesa del Parlamento europeo [Bruxelles, 6 novembre 2025]

    Il commissario per la Difesa, Andrius Kubilius, in audizione commissione Sicurezza e Difesa del Parlamento europeo [Bruxelles, 6 novembre 2025]

    Brussels – The funds are not there yet, but they will be. Indeed, there is an issue for 2026 and 2027, but Europe’s defence was lagging and needed to start moving fast: exactly what this European Commission has done. This is the assessment of Defence Commissioner, Andrius Kubilius, who summarized what has been achieved so far as follows: “This year, we have invested in opportunities,” which are above all “capability opportunities.”

    In a hearing in the European Parliament’s Security and Defence Committee, Kubilius recalls how the Union is still suffering from structural delays, which are the consequences of both time and the times. “Defence has always been national, coordinated by NATO,” with a single market until now, “not designed for defence”. Times have changed, and the von der Leyen team must now reckon with new contexts and logics, having worked hard to do so over the past year. He lists the achievements: on the one hand, EDIP, the 1.5 billion euro plan, which, he says, “is not important for resources, as 1.5 billion is not a lot” for what is needed, “but it is important for the industrial base; it is a big step forward” compared to the pre-existing situation.

    Then there is SAFE, the 150 billion loan facility that Member States fully subscribed. “SAFE is another important tool,” continues Kubilius, convinced that what has happened so far is already a momentous change of course for the European Union, which does not intend to stop. The Defence Commissioner recalls the roadmap outlining actions and investments between now and 2030, as well as the Military Mobility Strategy scheduled for next week.

    However, the real change of pace will only take place with the multiannual budget (MFF 2028-2027) from 2028 onwards. Until then, it will be necessary to proceed with existing resources, while resources are, in fact, lacking. “The new multi-year budgetary framework will mark a step forward,” given the increased amounts for defence, but from a financial point of view, “the problem arises for next year and 2027,” admits Kubilius. For the next two years, “will we find additional resources? That is the question, but I trust that those in charge will find the answer,” he said cryptically, referring to the work that will need to be done at multiple levels. However, he reassures: what has been done so far is in no way a programme in conflict with the Atlantic alliance. “NATO has military power, the EU has industrial power, and this implies that there is no overlap.”

    English version by the Translation Service of Withub
    Tags: andrius kubiliusdronieuropean speakingnatorisorserussiasafety

    Related Posts

    Foto: European Defence Agency
    Defence & Security

    Propellants and explosives: the next challenges for an EU defence sector short of resources and supplies

    31 October 2025
    Andrius Kubilius difesa
    Defence & Security

    Kubilius on defense: ‘The EU is not ready; production capacity is at 50 percent’

    14 October 2025
    Foto: European Defence Agency
    Defence & Security

    Defense: 18 EU member states have already applied for SAFE fund loans

    30 July 2025
    map visualization
    Photo de Andrew Vsur Unsplash

    Violence and inadequate safeguards: the UN’s worrying report on torture in Italy

    by Giulia Torbidoni
    15 May 2026

    The concluding observations on Italy drawn up by the United Nations Committee Against Torture paint a national picture that gives...

    Scambio della delegazione per le relazioni con la Palestina (DPAL)

    The Socialists: “The EU must protect the judges of the Criminal Court from unlawful foreign sanctions”

    by Iolanda Cuomo
    15 May 2026

    Following the suspension of US measures against UN rapporteur Francesca Albanese, the group is calling on the Commission to invoke...

    Numero di attraversamenti irregolari da gennaio ad aprile 2026. Source: Frontex

    Illegal entries of migrants into the EU have fallen by 40 per cent

    by Caterina Mazzantini
    15 May 2026

    The Frontex figures cover the first four months of the year and show a significant drop in arrivals from West...

    La nave Humanity attraccata al porto di Bari con 100 migranti, maggio 2025. Fonte: Saverio De Giglio via Imagoeconomica

    Returns, border control, and new approaches: the Council of Europe’s declaration on migration

    by Iolanda Cuomo
    15 May 2026

    The foreign ministers reaffirm their commitment to upholding the Convention and the European Court of Human Rights. Secretary-General Berset said:...

    • Director’s Point of View
    • Opinions
    • About us
    • Contacts
    • Privacy Policy
    • Cookie policy

    Eunews is a registered newspaper
    Press Register of the Court of Turin n° 27


     

    Copyright © 2025 - WITHUB S.p.a., Via Rubens 19 - 20148 Milan
    VAT number: 10067080969 - ROC registration number n.30628
    Fully paid-up share capital 50.000,00€

     

    No Result
    View All Result
    • it ITA
    • en ENG
    • Politics
    • Newsletter
    • World politics
    • Business
    • General News
    • Defence & Security
    • Health
    • Agrifood
    • Altre sezioni
      • Culture
      • Diritti
      • Energy
      • Green Economy
      • Gallery
      • Finance & Insurance
      • Industry & Markets
      • Media
      • Mobility & Logistics
      • Net & Tech
      • News
      • Opinions
      • Sports
    • Director’s Point of View
    • Draghi Report
    • Eunews Newsletter

    No Result
    View All Result
    • it ITA
    • en ENG
    • Politics
    • Newsletter
    • World politics
    • Business
    • General News
    • Defence & Security
    • Health
    • Agrifood
    • Altre sezioni
      • Culture
      • Diritti
      • Energy
      • Green Economy
      • Gallery
      • Finance & Insurance
      • Industry & Markets
      • Media
      • Mobility & Logistics
      • Net & Tech
      • News
      • Opinions
      • Sports
    • Director’s Point of View
    • Draghi Report
    • Eunews Newsletter

    Attention