- Europe, like you've never read before -
Wednesday, 19 August 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • it ITA
  • en ENG
Eunews
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • News
  • Defence
  • Health
  • Agrifood
  • Other sections
    • Culture
    • Rights
    • Energy
    • Green Economy
    • Finance & Insurance
    • Industry & Markets
    • Media
    • Mobility & Logistics
    • Net & Tech
    • Sports
  • Newsletter
  • European 2024
    Eunews
    • Politics
    • World
    • Business
    • News
    • Defence
    • Health
    • Agrifood
    • Other sections
      • Culture
      • Rights
      • Energy
      • Green Economy
      • Finance & Insurance
      • Industry & Markets
      • Media
      • Mobility & Logistics
      • Net & Tech
      • Sports
    No Result
    View All Result
    Eunews
    No Result
    View All Result

    Home » General News » Terrorism: alert rises in Belgium, 100 more threats recorded in 2023 than the year before

    Terrorism: alert rises in Belgium, 100 more threats recorded in 2023 than the year before

    Most of the reports concerned the Brussels area.

    Redazione</a> <a class="social twitter" href="https://twitter.com/eunewsit" target="_blank">eunewsit</a> by Redazione eunewsit
    1 March 2024
    in General News

    Brussels – There were 332 reports of potential threats related to terrorism or extremism in Belgium last year, up from 236 the year before, a 41 percent increase, according to data released Friday by the Coordination Unit for Threat Analysis (CUTA).

    According to CUTA, the increase is mainly due to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the attack in Brussels on Oct. 16. Since that event, in which a man shot dead two Swedish soccer fans, the overall terrorist threat level has risen from 2 to 3 on a scale of 4.

    Level 3

    Level 1 indicates a low threat, and level 2 is a medium threat. Belgium has been at level 3 for several months, which means a serious threat. Moving to level 4 would indicate a very serious threat. Based on this analysis, visible and less visible preventive and protective measures are in place to protect the population, key individuals, and institutions, the Belga news agency explained. Most threats occurred by phone, email, or anonymously. The previous year, threats were generally through social networks and messaging applications, the organization said. About 55 percent of the reports were classified as low threats. Just over one-third were classified as medium, about 7 percent serious, and only one very serious and imminent: the October 16, 2023 attack.

    Brussels area

    Like in 2022, most threat reports were in the Brussels area, followed by Antwerp, Liège, Ghent, and Mons. Most threats came from individuals who intended to act alone. More than 40 percent of threats were related to Islamic extremism.

    Threats from abroad, particularly from regimes targeting Belgian political opponents, accounted for about 6 percent of cases. Right-wing extremism was responsible for 5 percent. Targets varied by ideology, often targeting specific individuals, security services, political authorities, or public buildings.

    English version by the Translation Service of Withub
    Tags: belgiumminacceterrorism

    Related Posts

    Minatori che lavorano in Belgio. La foto è parte della mostra permanente del museo del Bois du Cazier. Crediti: Matteo
    Culture

    Marcinelle, 70 years on: the story of Italian migration to Belgium as told by a former miner

    7 August 2026
    Cassiera. Crediti: Simon Kadula via Unsplash
    Business

    Retail trade down 0.3% in the euro area, 0.1% in the EU

    6 August 2026
    Grand Place (Bruxelles). Crediti: Nate Holland via Unsplash
    General News

    The US State Department: travelling to Belgium exposes you to risks of “crime, terrorism, and unrest”

    4 August 2026
    Emergenza caldo a Milano: Clemente Marmorino via Imagoeconomica
    General News

    EuroMOMO: Belgium had Europe’s highest excess mortality rate in June

    28 July 2026
    Televisioni. Crediti: Gabriel Ava
    General News

    INTERVIEW / Clevers (La Libre Belgique): “In Wallonia, a media cordon sanitaire to stem the rise of the far right”

    23 July 2026
    Tribunale Corte penale internazionale e crimini contro l’umanità, crimini di guerra e genocidio, 2022. Crediti: Clemente Marmorino via Imagoeconomica
    Rights

    The EU condemns Rubio’s threats against the International Criminal Court: “Unacceptable”

    14 July 2026
    map visualization
    MARCHIO LOGO APPLE

    Tracking and new commercial terms: Apple is changing its rules to comply with EU regulations

    by Emanuele Bonini emanuelebonini
    18 August 2026

    The company has announced changes to its conduct within the European Union in response to the Digital Markets Act (DMA)....

    URSULA VON DER LEYEN PRESIDENTE COMMISSIONE EUROPEA, A?MAD ?USAYN AL-SHARA AL-SHARAA AL-J?L?N? AL-JOLANI LEADER SIRIA

    It’s not just Afghanistan: in the name of repatriation, the EU is legitimising jihadists in Syria

    by Emanuele Bonini emanuelebonini
    18 August 2026

    In response to criticism from the European Parliament, the Commissioner for Home Affairs has confirmed that the EU is working...

    FEDEX
CONSEGNA
CONSEGNE
SOCIETA DI TRASPORTO
FURGONE CONSEGNE

    Postal services: EU approves FedEx’s takeover of InPost

    by Emanuele Bonini emanuelebonini
    18 August 2026

    The Commission has given the green light to the proposed acquisition. The transaction relates to the delivery of small parcels...

    GTS LOGISTICSPEDIZIONI E GESTIONE TRANSITOLOGISTICASPEDIZIONE SPEDIZIONIAZIENDA LOGISTICATRENOTRASPORTO MERCE MERCICONTAINER

    Rail freight transport: EU still at a loss as to how to revitalise it

    by Emanuele Bonini emanuelebonini
    18 August 2026

    The Transport Commissioner, Apostolos Tzitzikostas, admits that trains and individual carriages are too expensive and that road transport is becoming...

    • Director’s Point of View
    • Opinions
    • About us
    • Contacts
    • Privacy Policy
    • Cookie policy

    Eunews is a registered newspaper
    Press Register of the Court of Turin n° 27


     

    Copyright © 2025 - WITHUB S.p.a., Via Rubens 19 - 20148 Milan
    VAT number: 10067080969 - ROC registration number n.30628
    Fully paid-up share capital 50.000,00€

     

    No Result
    View All Result
    • it ITA
    • en ENG
    • Politics
    • Newsletter
    • World politics
    • Business
    • General News
    • Defence & Security
    • Health
    • Agrifood
    • Altre sezioni
      • Culture
      • Rights
      • Energy
      • Green Economy
      • Gallery
      • Finance & Insurance
      • Industry & Markets
      • Media
      • Mobility & Logistics
      • Net & Tech
      • News
      • Opinions
      • Sports
    • Director’s Point of View
    • Draghi Report
    • Eunews Newsletter

    No Result
    View All Result
    • it ITA
    • en ENG
    • Politics
    • Newsletter
    • World politics
    • Business
    • General News
    • Defence & Security
    • Health
    • Agrifood
    • Altre sezioni
      • Culture
      • Rights
      • Energy
      • Green Economy
      • Gallery
      • Finance & Insurance
      • Industry & Markets
      • Media
      • Mobility & Logistics
      • Net & Tech
      • News
      • Opinions
      • Sports
    • Director’s Point of View
    • Draghi Report
    • Eunews Newsletter

    Attention